Great Harvest Bread
Real Food. Real People.

04/21/2015
What's the difference between jelly and jam? We at Great Harvest in Tulsa, Oklahoma would like to give you the jelly jam on this subject. The difference is that jelly is made strictly from the juice of fruit while jam is made from crushed fruit. Both are very yummy spread on Great Harvest bread. 

Jelly

Is made by crushing fruit, then straining out everything but the juice. The juice is then boiled, typically with sugar and pectin added, the latter of which reacts with the sugar and heat to give the jelly a thicker consistency for spreading.

Jam

The first step in making jam is about the same as making jelly, but instead of straining the juice, the crushed fruit is left in, often with the seeds, if they are relatively small, such as with certain berries. Unlike jelly, jam does not contain pectin, as the mashed fruit will often give it sufficiently good consistency for spreading.

Consistancy

If you are wondering how to tell the difference between jelly and jam on sight, the jelly will spread pretty evenly, while the jam will tend to roll on the bread and be a little lumpy.

Extra Facts

  • While there is a difference between jelly and jam, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, jam and preserves are to be considered the same thing.  However, usually people call a fruit spread a preserve if the fruit chunks are large and it is called a jam if the chunks are small. 
  • Fruit “butters” are just a variety of jelly. The fruit is strained out to leave the juice. The juice is then heavily enriched with a variety of things, such as pectin, and then can be whipped or cooked down until it becomes thick.
  • Pectin is an indigestible carbohydrate, and thus is a good source of fiber in your diet. When heated with sugar and water, it thickens into a gel. It is found naturally in the cell walls of most fruits.
  • For whatever reason, jelly is significantly more popular with kids and jam is significantly more popular with adults.
  • Nine flavors of jams and jellies account for over 80% of the total U.S. production, with about thirty additional flavors comprising the remaining 20%. The most popular is grape jelly, followed by strawberry jam.
  • Jams and jellies have about half the calories of butter or margarine and unlike butter and margarine, contain zero fat.

Complement with Bread!

Jelly or jam, all you need is some flavorful bread to go with it! If you’re looking for the best bread in Tulsa, remember to stop by Great Harvest. We have a variety of tasty, and healthy whole wheat breads to choose from. Give us a call at 918-878-7878 to find out what we have in store for you today.
Great Harvest Bread of Tulsa
We'd love to be in touch with you